Embracing e-writing

A great article on e-writing was shared by Michael Ulku-Steiner with the Upper School faculty deserves a wider audience. Full disclosure would mean that DA parent, Lucy Martindale get credit for sending it to Michael. This is how connected learning happens when done in bits and bytes or ones and zeros and not in an analog form factor. We live in a new learning environment where we have new tools to incorporate into our teaching and our learning.
I did orientation this year for all students in the Middle School and asked them this question: “Can you use Instant Messaging Language or IM when you are writing messages in Moodle?” They all answered no, as they are good students and figured there was no way a teacher would let them write CUL8R or IMHO. Most mouths opened a bit when I said, of course you can as it is appropriate language for messaging. I went further by asking who invented it? IMers. Are there other languages that are confusing if you do not know them? Ever talked to a computer teacher when he said something like the CPU was 2.25 GHz with 2 GB or RAM or the IP address lease was not renewed by the DHCP server. We all use languages that are useful for what we are discussing or in the case of IM language, appropriate for the quick exchange of information. Therefore, I was glad to read this post/article by a professor of a institution of higher learning as it supports what I think is most important. Writing for an audience and know the difference between formal writing and IM.

Thank you to all who I learn from on a daily basis.