Is it a Shelf or a Door? How little changes can make a big difference!

In 2006 when I moved to the Middle School from the Lower School I requested a door to be installed where a shelf had been. I wanted the door because it would allow easier access to the printers and computers. It also allowed students to not have to interrupt a class if they needed to come in and use a computer. The request got lost in the queue, but over winter break, it was installed and has created quite the buzz. Most often I am asked if it was always there or if the shelfs were hiding it? The second most asked question is why? It only takes a minute for the person asking that question to realize the benefits.

Sany0010 Sany0011

Nice information, but why a blog post? Think about this small change that took 3.5 years to complete. I see a metaphor in how we often like to take the units we teach and put them on a shelf so we have them the next time. We do this for often more then 3.5 years. What would happen if each year we took one less unit from the tired and true shelf and instead opened a door to try something new? Comments I have heard about the door are: It looks so different, I love how I can now get my printing without disturbing a class. I would never print to those printers before.

My job, as I see it, is to open doors for teachers and students to try new learning tools and methods.

Come on in through whatever door you want to use, but please leave your shelf behind when you come.

Technorati Tags: , ,