Evidence of Digital Learning – Choice is Good

What happens in a class when some students finish the report on Vertebrate Animals? I was so excited to see this on the board when I walked through the lab that I took a picture to preserve it as well as document that I was not making it up.

Digitalskills
What you see in the picture is the basic requirements for the paper:
Cover (Hand-drawn image scanned in using the wonderful Snappy)
Title Page
Table of Contents
31/2 pages of text
Glossary
Bibliography
Appendix (Optional)

It is the list of Appendix ideas that impresses me the most. Mr. Bryson took suggestions and the students generated the list. It takes courage to do this on Mr. Bryson’s part as he does not know the applications listed. Of course, he tells his students this which allows for a flipping of roles in the class.

1. Poem
  2. Interview
  3. Painting
  4. Photographs that you take
  5. Presentation with Keynote or PowerPoint
  6. Podcast
  7. Flash Presentation
  8. Alice World
  9. Movie
  10. Skitch Drawing
  11. Art Rage Drawing

Notice in the picture that another teacher has written directions on the Photoshop project for The Lightening Thief Book.

Update on 2/18/09: In the other lab, the trading card assignment now has a model for students to create. Notice the terms in red. How many students get exposed to this content enough to know and understand it. How about teachers?

Tradingcards
The environment of learning that is taking place with these students allows them to assemble a digital portfolio to be proud of and certainly meets the ISTE NETS.

Technorati Tags: ,