Student Learning Networks and Global Change

Students today are wonderful teachers of teachers when given the opportunity to share what they have learned from their learning network. I was working with a sixth grade class on their podcasting project for History. We were learning how to research using web sites, citing of sources, creating a Keynote slide presentation to use as images for their enhanced podcast, script writing and just getting our assets in order before we actually begin recording. I believe this is how actual “news” organizations broadcast.

I am working with one group and a student named Chess wants to show me something that will help save electricity for all of the computers in the lab. I said, I would be interested in something like that for sure. Blackle is where he took me and told me how we could do little things that can make a big difference. Research I have done does refute some of the claims since CRT and LCD monitors have different energy use, but what I think is amazing is that here are a group of students talking about saving energy by using a different color.

I think this demonstrates the power of a personal learning network and also how students can shift change in their life due to their access to information. I have watched how students in the labs will do vocabulary in order to send grains of rice.

Student Engagement has lower barriers then when I was in school with the tools of today. Durham Academy is a member of iEARN as Tina Bessias travelled to Egypt for last years conference. TakingITGlobal is another student engagement site for global awareness.

The times have changed where student voices could not gather into a force to affect change. I think it is wonderful and look forward to being supported in my senior years by students who were empowered in their youth to affect change.

Technorati Tags: ,