Student Writing with Moodle

Why do students need to use digital tools or as Alan November calls them, Student Containers. While the conversations are within the “walled garden” of the DAILE Moodle, it is clear to see that students are willing to read books and suggest books to fellow classmates. The following exchange is by sixth grade boys in Mrs. Williamson’s class discussing books to read. The topic of the post was the book Bud Not Buddy
Bud Not Buddy
by Tom G. – Monday, 8 October 2007, 04:39 PM
I am reading “Bud Not Buddy.” It is a great book and I can’t wait to finish it. If you started to read it you would enjoy immensly.

Re: Bud Not Buddy
by Cameron E. – Monday, 8 October 2007, 08:48 PM
Whats it about?
Re: Bud Not Buddy
by Ryan P. – Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 07:57 PM
I read it, it’s really good

Re: Bud Not Buddy
by Tom G. – Thursday, 18 October 2007, 09:37 AM
Bud Not Buddy is about a boy who is in an orphanage and he is going to find his father. Or who he thinks is his father
Re: Bud Not Buddy
by Trey H. – Thursday, 18 October 2007, 09:39 AM
are the chapters really long and if so are they easy to get through
Re: Bud Not Buddy
by Tom G. – Thursday, 18 October 2007, 09:41 AM
Some chapters are long but is a book you won’t want to put down. It is a newbery award

Mrs. Williamson’s thoughts: “The writing isn’t perfect. The editing isn’t perfect. But they are discussing literature! They are sharing information about a book they enjoyed. It got them writing…and about literature! I have rules about posting in a forum, and it all has to be school appropriate, or they will lose moodle privileges for a week. I have not had anyone violate this rule as of yet. SO COOL!”

I think this is how we fill student containers with appropriate content and uses instead of banning the containers.