A Vision of Durham Academy K-12 Students?

Michael Wesch from Kansas State has done a lot of videos related to technology and students. Most of them focus on higher education and are very well done. His site Digital Ethnography is full of content to help learn what is happening today. He recently gave a presentation on “The Crisis of Significance“.

He posed some simple questions to students:

Q: How many of you do not actually like school?

A: Over half raise their hands.

Q: How many of you do not like learning?

A: No hands.

I am not at all surprised by this reaction as I observe it each day. Granted, I am in technology and watch students use Microsoft Word to type reports for some teachers. Others students “get to use” Moodle to upload assignments, journal, post discussion items, and other interactive lessons. The last two days students have been using Photoshop to create Greek God and Goddess trading cards for one class while another class used Microsoft Word. The teachers decided what tool to use based on their comfort level. There is no wrong or right answer here as the key word is CREATE.

Technology use by teachers varies and is not determined by age, education, or discipline, but I think, by a willingness to vary instructional methods, allow for authentic learning by their students, and a desire to strive to learn new skills and methods of teaching. If teachers are willing to take on these characteristics, technology offers a lot of engaging power.

I spent the last year and half working on a Technology Task Force in order to recommend what Durham Academy should do to continue to be relevant and “significant” in a changing world. The presentations went well and most negative comments came out of a fear of how technology is either destroying students concentration or how it will change the culture of our school. I love a professional discussion on the merits of benefits technology can offer the learning environment so the day was a great opportunity for me to share my vision for Durham Academy. The voting process did not reveal a clear decision so more work will need to be done in April.

Students will work hours on an engaging project be it for school or for “fun”.

Here are some other questions to ask:

Q. Who did you learn from today?

Q. Who did you teach today?

Q. From how many people or countries did you learn from today?

Check out this video to see how we are connecting with our students.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A-ZVCjfWf8

Technorati Tags: ,